Thursday 11 January 2018

"Being there"




                     The view from the clifftop is stunning. Looking out over the crystal-clear
                     aquamarine water of the bay at Pefkos in the summer heat reminds me of
                    why I love this place. I walk past the houses and small olive groves and
                     head towards Kavos beach.

                     Two men are sorting through their fishing net in a small boat anchored
                     in the shelter of the bay. I wave, "Kalemera", they wave back as I walk to
                     the end of the small beach where it gives way to rocks and the main beach
                     at Pefkos. Near enough that you can wade through the water and reach the
                     golden sand.

                    The shallow water is clear and fish swim between your toes. I look back
                    from the warmth of the sea to the clifftop from where I've just descended.
                    I walk back up the dusty slope to the garden of the taverna that overlooks the
                    bay and order a beer.

                    I sit in the shade of a pine tree and listen to music through my headphones.
                    "Being There" by the Tord Gustavsen trio.

 
"Being There"- Acrylic on canvas 24"x24"

No comments:

Post a Comment