Tuesday 4 June 2019

" Fishing with Nik"




                       

I'm looking down across Kavos bay at the sun glinting off the 
turquoise water that today is flat and still after two days of breezy
conditions that gave a slight swell to the sea.

The boat anchored off the beach belongs to Nik or "Captain Nikolas".
He's lived in the town of Pefkos for all of his sixty two years and makes 
regular fishing trips from Kavos .

"Captain Nikolas"



I'm glad of the calm conditions as today I'm going with Nik on a 
three hour trip around the coast to Lindos and back.

Baiting the lines

By mid-day, with the temperature rising to 30C, I'm
grateful for the shade of the boat as we throw the baited
lines into the crystal clear water off Navaronne beach.
Within seconds we're catching small fish called "Skaros".
Nik deftly removes the hooks and despatches the fish into a bucket,
he'll fry them in ouzo for a light snack this evening.



Heading back

By early afternoon we're back at Kavos beach and I have 
a swim to cool off and eat my sandwich before returning to
my apartment.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment