Thursday 10 October 2019

"Crete - A sketchbook journey" 2. "By boat to Spinalonga"





                                                         

"Kolokytha , Plaka and Spinalonga"

I'm taking the short boat trip from the harbour at Elounda
to the island of Spinalonga.



Located opposite the town of Plaka ,this small island
used to be part of  Crete. During the Venetian occupation
the island was carved out of the coast and a fort was built to
maintain its strategic position.
In more recent years it became infamous as a leper colony.


"Spinalonga "

I step from the boat amidst the crowds of tourists jostling my
way forward and make my way steadily upwards towards the fort.

"The Fort"




Wandering through the ruined buildings I come across two
cats , grooming each other in the sun.


Onwards to the highest point of the island and the magnificient
views across the Gulf of Elounda.



  


 " Ruined buildings on Spinalonga "

After a couple of hours I stop for a drink in the island's 
small taverna , before catching the boat for my return journey.





"Caged bird at the taverna"

"Returning to Elounda"

No comments:

Post a Comment