Friday 11 October 2019

"Crete - a sketchbook journey" 3. " Elounda to Aghios Nikolaos"




                                                     
" The steep hill out of Elounda towards Aghios Nikolaos"

I'm strolling to the bus stop to catch the local bus that will take me to 
the town of Aghios Nikolaos a few miles west of Elounda.
As I reach the brow of the hill I can see what looks suspiciously like
my bus sailing past the stop! I decide that it's either, twenty minutes early,
or thirty minutes late as it bears no relation to the timetable!!
I'm debating what to do when I see a man gesturing to me and waving his hands.
It seems that I have missed the bus and that he'll take me to Aghios Nikolaos 
in his old Mercedes taxi. Does he hang around here hoping this might happen?
Anyway within minutes we're speeding along in air conditioned luxury, and he
only charges me 12 euros instead of the usual 14 so maybe he was being helpful.


I'm dropped in the heart of the busy town and stroll around the harbour 
where charter boats and cruise ships anchor and where the smaller boats take 
day trippers to the island of Spinalonga.


Linked to the harbour is a narrow channel that feeds the adjoining
"Lake Voulismeni"



The lake is surrounded by tavernas and has a tiny "Fisherman's Church"
carved into the cliff face.






I stroll around the perimeter and watch as youths jump from the cliff top
into the lake , once rumoured to be bottomless , but since proven to be over
sixty metres deep .

"Doors of the old church"


I eat in the bustling lakeside taverna "Karnagio" that serves Cretan dishes.
I order rabbit stifado , washed down with Cretan red wine, whilst families chatter in
large groups and young children play in the main square.

No comments:

Post a Comment